In honour of the memory of Michael and Werner Geidlinger, whose lives were lost too soon, the Michael & Werner Geidlinger Excellence in Palliative Care Award recognizes the unique character and tremendous care delivered to patients at the end of life by an RPN, whose efforts demonstrate exemplary palliative care competencies that optimize quality of life and help families cope during illness and bereavement. The recipient of the award will receive a $500.00 scholarship.
Each year the Awards Committee will review all nominations submitted and select one
recipient for this award. The nominee must:
- Be a member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Be an RPN who has contributed in a significant way, on an ongoing basis, to
palliative care nursing in Ontario and;
- Not currently or have been, a member of the WeRPN Board of Directors in the last three years.
The nominations are evaluated on:
- Demonstrating an understanding of the philosophy of palliative care.
- Applies the principles of palliative care that affirm life, offers a support system to help
individuals live as actively as possible until death, with optimal quality of life and helps families
cope during illness and bereavement
- Conserves and promotes dignity of the person by facilitating expression of needs, hopes,
feelings and concerns when planning palliative care
- Demonstrates evidence of excellence in developing and supporting respectful collaboration by
applying intra and interprofessional approaches to support the patient’s goals, optimize
comfort and enhance quality of life of the person and family
- Understands the concept of ‘total pain’ and the associated impact to the person and family
- Advocates for the needs, decisions and rights of the person by recognizing potential vulnerabilities
Nominations can be made by any individual or organization. Self nominations are not accepted.
Nominations submitted for The Michael & Werner Geidlinger Excellence in Palliative Care Award must be received by the Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario no later than Monday, July 31, 2023.
The award presentation will occur in October 2023.
The nominator and recipient will be notified by September 1, 2023.
Please direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org