The WeRPN Preceptor Award of Excellence is bestowed upon a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) in recognition of outstanding contributions as a role model for a practical nursing student.
The role of the preceptor is to provide guidance to a student entering the practice setting by creating a positive learning environment in which the student can expand his/her knowledge and skills by integrating nursing theory into practice.
The nominee must be:
- A preceptor (in the past twelve months) for a nursing student enrolled in an Ontario college practical nursing program
- Nominated by a nursing student
- Be a member in good standing of the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Consistently demonstrates excellence as a preceptor by creating an environment of learning that has resulted in meaningful learning experiences
- Acts as a role model by demonstrating outstanding competence and professionalism in the practice setting that meets nursing standards of practice
- Actively and consistently demonstrates strong leadership, knowledge and a professional approach during interactions with the nursing student and colleagues
- Demonstrates an ongoing willingness to precept students and facilitate learning using a creative, collaborative approach, setting evidence-based goals to meet objectives, monitoring progress, and providing constructive ongoing evaluation to achieve student success
- Demonstrates a commitment to the relationship by recognizing the unique needs of each student and dedicates the necessary time to support and enhances the student learning experience
- Nominees must be nominated by a nursing student who has worked directly with the preceptor
- Nominators are required to submit specific examples of how the nominee meets or exceeds the selection criteria
Nominations submitted for the WeRPN Preceptor Award of Excellence must be submitted to WeRPN through the online form below no later than Monday, July 31, 2023.
The award presentation will occur in October 2023.
The nominator and recipient will be notified by September 1, 2023.
Please direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org