The Martha Award
Background: In dedication to Martha Thumlert, an older adult and an exceptional woman who died unnecessarily from a hospital acquired infection.
There are outstanding Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) who work everywhere that health care is delivered to care for older Ontarians. Today over 17,000 RPNs employed in nursing in Ontario identify caring for older adults as their area of specialization.
This award celebrates the dedication of an RPN who provides exceptional care to our beloved older adults in a manner that is respectful, compassionate, professional and exemplifies nursing excellence. In particular, this award acknowledges a nurse who is focused on the improvement of safety and well-being of older Ontarians by demonstrating knowledge, innovation and leadership.
The recipient of the award will receive a $500.00 scholarship and a one-year free WeRPN membership.
Each year the Awards Committee will review all nominations submitted and select one recipient
for this award. The nominee must be:
• A member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario and;
• An RPN who has contributed in a significant way, on an ongoing basis, to enhancing care of Older Ontarians.
Nominations will be evaluated according to the following:
- Evidence of leadership within the nursing profession and in practice, role modeling excellence and professionalism in the care of older Ontarians.
- Evidence of knowledge and innovation in daily practice and demonstrates excellence in practice with a focus on the improvement iof safety and well-being and;
- Evidence of excellence in developing and supporting respectful collaboration with members of the health care team, the patient and family to support the patient’s goals
Nominations can be made by any individual or organization. Self nominations are not accepted.
Nominations submitted for The Excellence in Care of Older Ontarian Award must be submitted to WeRPN through the online form below and include letters of support (one from a direct supervisor) no later than Monday, July 31, 2023.
The award presentation will occur in October 2023.
The nominator and recipient will be notified by September 1, 2023.
Submissions should not exceed three pages, excluding supporting documentation/references.
Please direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Excellence in the Care of Older Ontarian
"*" indicates required fields